Sunday, October 21, 2018

Halloween: 40 Years of Terror Convention (2018)






When it was announced Jamie Lee Curtis would be returning to the Halloween franchise last September, I knew 2018 was going to be an awesome year for horror fans.  And when it was announced there would be another Halloween convention to celebrate the 40th anniversary, I knew 2018 was going to be a TOTALLY awesome year.  25 Years of Terror (2003)30 Years of Terror (2008) and 35 Years of Terror (2013) each had their standout moments and overall were like an extra Christmas morning.  

Perhaps the biggest standout moment for 40 Years of Terror was the first convention appearance of Sandy Johnson, who played the pivotal role of Judith Myers.  David Kyle, who played her boyfriend, also made his first appearance.  I was glad to finally meet Ana Alicia, who has been my number one must-meet for the last few years.  Jeffrey Kramer and Mariah O'Brien were also welcomed fresh faces.  

The new Halloween film was of course what everyone was talking about. There was a heavy presence of those associated with it, with the exception one key person.  I guess she wasn't kidding when she said the Jamie Lee Curtis HorrorHound Weekend (2012) would be her one and only convention appearance.  But she did leave a video message for fans. 



Friday, October 12, 2018
Horror's Hallowed Grounds Locations Bus Tour




The biggest highlight for me was the Horror's Hallowed Grounds Bus Tour.  I had done the tour at each of the previous conventions as a spectator. But this time, thanks to Robert Patterson at Set-jetter.com and Sean Clark, I was selected to be a tour guide.  Normally speaking in front of a crowd is a personal hell for me, but if the topic is filming locations, particularly ones from the Halloween franchise, just try and wrestle the mic away from me. Several on my bus had not seen the locations before, which was an added bonus.  I love seeing people's faces as they walk up to them for the first time.  The agenda included locations from Halloween (1978)Halloween II (1981)Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (1982) and Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007).

An eager crowd gathered early for check-in...






Orange Grove Boulevard in Hollywood, home to The Doyles, The Wallaces, The Trick-or-Treated to Death House and The No-Help Neighbor...




When we arrived in Sierra Madre, we were given a Halloween treat and were allowed inside the church from The Fog (1980)...




Dr. Challis and Ellie's Bar...




The Alley from the beginning of Halloween II...



The Strode House, where fans waited to have a seat on the most famous stoop in South Pasadena...




Midnight Screening of Halloween (2018)


To top off a spectacular day, VIP ticket holders were treated to an early screening of the new movie a few blocks from The Pasadena Convention Center.  It never rains in southern California, but it did this night (and there was thunder!  Lightning and the thunder!).  But fans didn't care, they were lined up outside braving the precipitation...











Saturday, October 13 & Sunday October 14, 2018


VIP's were given another treat by getting into the convention an hour early and a cool lanyard like in conventions past...  









The convention was in a different area this time around in one giant room with guests and vendors all lined up in rows up and down, just like the streets of Haddonfield ;-)...







Sandy Johnson - Judith Myers, Halloween (1978)




David Kyle - Judith's Boyfriend, Halloween (1978)



Ana Alicia - Nurse Janet, Halloween II (1981)



Mariah O'Brien - Beth, Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)



Since I had a short autograph list, I was done by the time the doors opened to the general public, which gave me a chance to sit in on several panel discussions... 


Halloween (1978) Panel





It easily won the most packed discussion...




Halloween II (1981) Panel Discussion

A very strong representation...









And a surprise marriage proposal!  She said yes!



Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) Panel Discussion




Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995) Panel Discussion




Rob Zombie's Halloween & Halloween II Panel Discussion



Halloween 2018 Panel Discussion




Nick Castle says a quick hello...



A looooong line to receive an autographed poster from the Halloween 2018 folks...



It's always sad to see a convention end.  It was nice to meet some people in person I had connected with on social media since 2013 and it was great to see some new faces from the franchise make their first appearances.  There are still some out there who have yet to grace their presence.  Hopefully by 2023, we may see some of them and as well as celebrating a sequel to the new movie.  And since reports are coming in that it's scared up almost 80 million dollars its opening weekend, I think we can count on it.

Related Locations:

Halloween (1978)Halloween II (1981)Halloween III: Season of The Witch (1982)Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later (1998)Halloween (2007)Halloween II (2009)Halloween (2018)Halloween Kills (2021)Halloween Ends (2022)Halloween: 25 Years of Terror Convention (2003)Halloween: 30 Years of Terror (2008)Halloween: 35 Years of Terror (2013), Jamie Lee Curtis HorrorHound Weekend (2012)Halloween: 45 Years of Terror Convention (2023)






2 comments:

  1. I’m going through these blog posts and loving them! I attended the 40 Years of Terror Convention on Sunday and it was so awesome. That was my first time going to a Halloween convention even though I’ve been a huge Halloween fan ever since I saw the first movie on TV in high school in 1998. I remember I was flipping through the channels and I started watching at the point when the girls are walking home from school. When Laurie looks out her bedroom window and sees Michael and then he seemingly disappears intrigued me. I thought that was so creepy. I had never seen a Halloween movie before this, although I vividly remember the VHS boxes of Halloween 3, 4, and 5 at video rental stores as a kid and the mask always creeped me out.

    Anyway, at the convention I got to meet and get pics with P. J. Soles, Tommy Lee Wallace, and Mariah O’Brien. I also had them sign some stuff. It was so much fun walking around and seeing all the Halloween stuff. It was all new to me.

    I also visited the Myers house and got a pic with my girlfriend at the infamous “Strode Stoop.”

    Anyway, great job on these. I love reading about all the different locations and trivia from the films. I can’t ever get enough Halloween!

    ReplyDelete