Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Karate Kid Part II (1986)







The Karate Kid (1984) was an incredible underdog story that won the hearts of viewers and critics.  Two years later, Mr. Miyagi and Danielsan are back, this time traveling to Okinawa to visit Miyagi's dying father.  They both find themselves at odds with the evil Sato and his nephew Chozen.   Since Ali said sayonara ;-), Daniel mends his broken heart with the sweet and soft-spoken Kumiko.  While Miyagi and Sato make amends, Danielsan and Chozen are left to fight to the death during a dance festival.   

The Karate Kid Part II was released on my birthday while my family was vacationing in Hawaii.  I remember my grandfather took me and my cousins to see it.  We got "baby rattle" pellet drums afterwards at a shop on our way back to the hotel.  Little did I know the movie was filmed about a half an hour north of Waikiki.  It was a worthy sequel with great performances, beautiful scenery and an incredible soundtrack.  Peter Cetera delivers 80's pop perfection with the Academy Award-nominated Glory of Love while New Edition offers a fantastic cover of Earth Angel (1986).  With the recent success of Cobra Kai (2018-), hopefully Chozen will zipline in at some point.


The Karate Kid Part II was filmed in Kaneohe, HI and Northridge, Burbank and Los Angeles, CA



Location: All Valley Karate Championship
Address: 18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA

The opening scene, which was filmed at the Cal State Northridge's Matadome, was originally intended to be the ending of the first film...
















Location: The Okinawa Airport
Address: 6661 Imperial Highway, Los Angeles, CA  Flight Path Learning Center














Location: Tomi Village
Address: near 47-507 Kamehameha Highway, Kaneohe, HI

There wasn't too much information about the filming locations, but thanks to an online article, it was mentioned that Mr. Miyagi's village was filmed in Kaneohe in an undeveloped area where a 7-11 now stands...







It was a bit tricky getting a shot of the bend of palm trees as this is now on private property.  I did sneak in a few shots before I was chased away...


















Location: Mr. Miyagi's Father's House
Address: 49-560 Kamehameha Highway, Kaneohe, HI

On the Kuala Movie Ranch Tour, our guide informed us that Mr. Miyagi's father's house is located there, much to my surprise...






Location: Daniel & Kumiko's Bridge
Address: just after 8483 Highway 72, Honolulu, HI   The Ehiihilauakea Bridge

This photo was taken from the Halona Blow Hole...




Location: King Shohashi Castle
Address: between Lania Lookout & Halona Blowhole, Honolulu, HI

Daniel and Kumiko spot the matte painting somewhere between the Lanai Lookout and the Halona Blowhole.  This is not the exact the spot, but it gives you an idea...




Location: The Electronics Store
Address: Warner Brothers Studios - Hennessy Street, Burbank, CA

This is not an exact match up since, at the time, I didn't know it was used in the film.  I was getting a shot of the stairs from Gremlins (1984)...




Location: Sato's Dojo
Address: Warner Brothers Studios - Hennessy Street, Burbank, CA




The bar was also located on Hennessy Street.  Action fans may recognize Theo from Die Hard (1988) as a G.I. breaking some ice and horror fans may recognize Andy from Friday the 13th Part III (1982) as a G.I. collecting the bets.  The sock hop was located somewhere on Hennessy Street as well.

Locations Visited: October 2016, July 2018, October 2018, June 2021 


Related Locations:

The Karate Kid (1984)Cobra Kai (2016-)New Edition - Earth Angel (1986)






13 comments:

  1. I just discovered your site today. I was born in the late 70s as well. I have an 11-year-old son now, and have been showing him the same movies I grew up on. We just finished watching this one today, and I thought I'd look up to see if they really went to Japan to film this movie. That's when I found this page.

    Finding movie locations is something I also love to do. I've traveled to NY several times for this reason. I was born and raised in WV, and now live in southern OH, only a few minutes away from my hometown. I've traveled other places as well that are within a few hours from here just for the purposes of finding movie locations. I'll be checking out your page again. It's even inspired me to create my own. Nice job, man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! Always love to hear from other location enthusiasts. Let me know when your page is up!

      Delete
    2. Some that I have already shot pictures of include (and some of ours are alike): Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, The Warriors, Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Godfather 1 & 2, French Connection, Taxi Driver, Home Alone 2, Ransom, Coming to America, The Professional, Rain Man, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, We Are Marshall (in my hometown at my alma mater), A Christmas Story, The Blind Side, Shawshank Redemption, Ghost, 3 Men and a Baby, Awakenings, Big, Big Daddy, Creepshow, Crocodile Dundee, The Mothman Prophecies, Dog Day Afternoon, Deer Hunter, Once Upon a Time in America, The Walking Dead (Seasons 1-3), Scrooged, Seinfeld, Sleepers, and Zombieland

      I'm headed to Minneapolis in a couple of weeks for one reason, but while I'm there, I plan to shoot Fargo, Grumpy/Grumpier Old Men, and Mallrats

      Delete
    3. Yeah, definitely some similarities there. That's impressive list.

      Delete
  2. Wow, thanks, Brian! I have lived on Oahu my whole life and I remember when they were filming Karate Kid 2 back in the 1980's. I remember driving past the filming location and wanting to see if I could see any of the actual filming, but I never did get around to it. I really regret that now because now I will never meet Pat Morita. Anyway, because of this COVID-19 thing, I now have a little time to go exploring and your blog will help me to check out the site. I doubt anything has remained from the original set, but it will be great just to be there. Anyway, thanks again! Take care, God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your blog - Do you know where the house that was used as Sato's house can be found? I can't find any info on it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't found any info on Sato's house either. I had looked at aerial shots in the Kaneohe area but didn't see anything that matched up.

      Delete
  4. i went to hawaii in may of 2019 and january of 2020, the first trip we actually snuck into the pond, we followed someone through the security gate, a lady asked us what we were doing there, once i said i was a fan of the movie, she said take some photos but you then have to leave. ive got photos to prove we were in the pond.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! That was a much friendlier encounter than when I was there.

      Delete
  5. Hi Brian. Any idea where the beach location is for the scene where Ralph Macchio comforts Pat Morita after the Miyagi character's father passes away? That's my favorite sequence in the film and would love to know where that is. The wife and I are going to Hawaii sometime next year and would love to find the location. Thanks for all the locations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I will have a give a rewatch. I'm totally blanking on that scene at the moment.

      Delete
    2. No problem. I know it's a lot to keep straight!

      Delete