Sunday, May 3, 2020

My Girl (1991)






Quirky Vada Sultenfuss lives with her funeral director dad in Madison, Pennsylvania.  She spends the summer of '72 crushing on her teacher, Mr. Bixler, taking his creative writing course and hanging out with her best friend, the allergy-prone Thomas J.  The summertime blues begin to set in as Vada learns of her father's budding romance with the funeral parlor's makeup artist, Shelly.  To boot, she finds out Mr. Bixler is engaged.  And tragedy strikes with the death of Thomas J., whom the bees more than envied ;-)  But Vada puts her grief all into her work, writing a poem about Thomas' death before hopping on her bike with a new best friend.

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day.  I even got the month of May.  It's only the 3rd, but thanks to the Coronavirus, it feels like the 31st.  I only saw My Girl for the first time about a week before a trip to Florida a few months back.  It never looked my type of movie but I figured I'd give it a try since it had Jamie Lee Curtis in it, star of my all-time favorite movie Halloween (1978).  I ended up enjoying it more than I thought.  It was a cute, little coming-of-age dramedy with some good tunes and a post Home Alone (1990) Macualy Culkin.  Critics were split down the middle, but the film did well at the box office, which usually translates to... sequel!  I did not watch My Girl 2, but based on the reviews, it sounded like something the birds in the trees would drop on your car.


My Girl was filmed in Bartow, Sanford, Plant City, Ocoee and Clermont, FL


Location: The Sultenfuss Funeral Parlor
Address: 555 East Stanford Street, Bartow, FL

























Location: Mr. Bixler's House
Address: 605 Magnolia Avenue, Sanford, FL








Location: Thomas J.'s House
Address: 603 Myrtle Avenue, Sanford, FL





















Location: Riding Bikes
Address: E First Street between Park & Palmetto, Sanford, FL














Location: The Alley
Address: behind 228 E First Street, Sanford, FL

The buildings seen just before Vada and Thomas J. cut through the mechanic shop have all been demolished...



However, the buildings on the left side of what was the alley are still recognizable...




Location: Dr. Wexley's Office 
Address: 113 Magnolia Avenue, Sanford, FL












Location: The Cafe
Address: 112 East First Street, Sanford, FL  Breezeway Restaurant











Location: Bingo Night
Address: 15 South Bluford Avenue, Ocoee, FL











Locations Visited: March 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment